James Samuel Bell
Practices Areas and Expertise
James is a recognized and highly skilled trial attorney with litigation experience in state and federal courts. On multiple occasions, James has served as lead trial counsel and is experienced in litigating complex personal injury matters, including catastrophic injury. He has gained significant prominence in the legal profession through his trial tactics and verdicts that have mounted millions of dollars in recoveries and saving for his clients who have been unjustly injured.
James makes it his mission to be intricately involved in all his clients’ cases, including negotiations with insurance companies and opposing counsel. He never surrenders until his clients get the compensation they deserve as well as rehabilitative services such as ongoing treatment, therapy for post-injury developments, work replacement services, and even monetary relief for the emotional pain and distress incurred. His attitude and character in this respect have earned him numerous awards—critically the award for Best Personal Injury Attorney.
James regularly serves as lead counsel whether the case involves a jury trial, bench trial, or arbitration proceeding. His experience spans both civil and criminal litigation. James’ jury trials include countless instances of successfully representing his clients and their families across the nation. His trials have resulted in successful verdicts for his injury victims, families, and other clients. James has saved his clients millions of dollars in recoveries and savings resulting from their personal injuries and post-injury complications.
Education and Bar Admissions
James received his bachelor’s degree from the Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas and graduated with honors. He has been granted multiple scholarships such as (1) the Southern Methodist University Scholarship, (2) James Holland Scholarship, (3) W.R. Nicholson Scholarship, and (4) the Southern Methodist University Student Senate Scholarship.
For law school, James attended the Southern Methodist University and graduated cum laude as well as the Top 15% of his class. During his time at law school, he actively participated in the Criminal Defense Clinic where he represented indigent defendants charged with serious crimes, allowing him to practice in court and go to trials
James is licensed to practice law in the state of Texas, the state of California, and the state of New York. In addition, James is admitted to practice in various federal courts in the nation, including the U.S. Supreme Court.
James’ superior and distinguishable litigation record led him to receive multiple awards including recognition as a Super Lawyer; Best Personal Injury Attorney; and Best Family Law Attorney, as only a few examples. In 2017, James received the top verdict in the United States and was named to The National Law Journal’s Elite Trial Lawyers.
Examples of Trial Cases
James has a vast record of litigations and settlements in courts across the nation. Below are some prominent examples:
- Obtaining the largest verdict in the nation in 2017 and the ninth largest in U.S. history by serving as lead trial counsel for beneficiaries and estate in a fraud/breach of fiduciary duty case against JPMorgan Chase Bank and obtaining a verdict of over $6 billion.
- Serving as lead counsel for surgeon against former partners for breach of fiduciary duty and successfully obtaining a $1.1 million cash settlement.
- Defending a chiropractor in a fraud investigation brought by the DOJ and helping client keep his license; case led to no civil or criminal liability.
- Serving as lead counsel for clients against their former law firm and settling case for $995,000.
- Serving as lead counsel for lawyer in malpractice case and obtaining a dismissal with prejudice.
- Defending a car dealer against an investigation brought by the DOJ, FBI, and the Criminal Investigation Division of the IRS involving multiple counts of bank fraud and obtaining probation for his client after pleading guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit bank fraud.
- Serving as lead counsel for client in Collin County, Texas and successfully dismissing case on the first day of trial immediately after voir dire.
- Serving as lead counsel for physician group and affiliate billing company in a $50 million dispute involving the Corporate Practice of Medicine and settling case favorably for client.
- Serving as lead counsel for client—female, pregnant, and African American—against Bank of America in connection with employment discrimination and settling case favorably for his client.
Do you suffer from mesothelioma?
Don’t delay. Learn about your rights.